Advice & Consumer Issues

Citizens Advice: Advice Guide
We aim to provide the advice people need for the problems they face and improve the policies and practices that affect people’s lives.

National Debtline
National Debtline is a free, confidential, debt advice service for people in England, Wales and Scotland, run by the charity the Money Advice Trust.

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education. Free to students, the OIA is an independent body which deals with individual complaints against Higher Education Institutions in England and Wales.


British Dyslexia Association
The BDA is the voice of dyslexic people. We aim to influence government and other institutions to promote a dyslexia friendly society that enables dyslexic people of all ages to reach their full potential.

JobCentre Plus: Access to Work
An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition.

RNIB – Starting University
We’re the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) and we’re here for everyone affected by sight loss. Whether you’re losing your sight or you’re blind or partially sighted, our practical and emotional support can help you face the future with confidence.

Disability Rights UK
We are disabled people leading change, working to create a society where everyone with lived experience of disability or health conditions can participate equally as full citizens.

The Dyspraxia Foundation
The Dyspraxia Foundation is committed to making the teaching and medical professions more aware of dyspraxia; and to spread understanding of how those who have the condition can be helped.

Funding for HE Students Student Finance
The Government official information on loans, bursaries, grants, Disabled Students’ Allowance and applications.

Student Awards Agency for Scotland
We are an agency of the Scottish Government giving financial support to eligible students doing a course of higher education in the UK. This website provides information on all types of student funding available and allows you to apply for your financial support.

Student Loans Company
The Student Loans Company is a non-profit Government-owned organisation set up to provide loans and grants to students in universities and colleges in the UK.

Money Advice Service
The Money Advice Service is a not for profit government organisation created solely to help people with their finances.


Shelter offers free, expert housing advice to anyone – no matter what their situation. Our free helpline is open 365 days a year and we have face-to-face advice centres up and down the country, as well as specialist legal and support services for those who need more in-depth housing help.

Social Security Benefits

Department for Work & Pensions (DWP)
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy as well as information about benefits available to disabled students and students with dependants.

HM Revenue and Customs
We are the UK’s tax and customs authority, responsible for making sure that money is available to fund the UK’s public services and for helping families and individuals with targeted financial support such as child benefit and tax credits available to students with dependants.