Transfers within Bishop Grosseteste University

If you wish to transfer programmes at Bishop Grosseteste University, there are two opportunities to do this. Things you need to consider before making your final decision:

  • Your student loan eligibility may be affected if you transfer programmes. Further information is available from Student Advice:
  • Before completing the online transfer form you must have met with the Programme Leader of the course that you wish to transfer to, in order to discuss your suitability for the course and modules you will be studying.
  • Transfer requests by Tier 4 visa students are subject to assessment by the International Team. This is to ensure that the transfer request meets the Home Office requirements.

This list is not exhaustive. If you require any further guidance before making your decision, you can discuss this with your Programme Leader and/or the Student Administration Office. Further information is also available in our Code of Practice for Student Transfer between Programmes. You can also speak to Student Advice:

Once you have made your decision, you will need to complete the online transfer form.

Transferring to Bishop Grosseteste University

Bishop Grosseteste University welcomes applications from students currently enrolled at another institution. We would recommend that anyone considering transferring between institutions seeks guidance from:

When you have made your decision, you will need to apply through UCAS to Bishop Grosseteste University. You will need to withdraw from your current institution before you join Bishop Grosseteste University. You should make sure you have completed all necessary assessments successfully if your offer of a place is conditional upon you doing so.

The University does have facilities to acknowledge credits undertaken prior to study at the university or experience. This can either be used to demonstrate meeting entrance requirements for courses or to join a course at higher level. The policy is called Code of Recognition of Prior Learning RP(C)L, more information can be found in our R(C)PL area.

Transferring from Bishop Grosseteste University

If you are considering studying at another institution, but you are currently enrolled at Bishop Grosseteste University, you should seek guidance from:

We would recommend that you complete your current year of study as you may be entitled to an intermediate award if you have passed a whole year. You will need to withdraw from Bishop Grosseteste University before you enrol at the institution you are transferring to. You can do this by completing the online form: Withdrawal form

If you have passed modules on your programme, you are entitled to a transcript of credit. You can request this from our Faculty Administration Office:

Your student finance and the impact of changing University

The timing of your move to another University will be an important factor. Your particular circumstances at the time of your transition – such as which programme you are moving form and to – will also be considered.

Transferring within the same academic year usually means your funding can be carried over.

If you begin at your new University at the start of a new academic year (starting again), having studied part of the year with us, you may not be able to claim money back for the year you didn’t finish. Student finance is usually available for the ordinary length of your programme plus one additional year, and a single day of study on a previous higher education programme can count as a year when calculating your funding entitlement.

In the case of a three-year programme, you could finish one year of study and still be entitled to three further years of support. However, if you transfer during your second year and begin another course from the beginning (totalling five years of study), you may have to self-fund part of it.

You should always seek advice about your entitlement to student finance if you are considering a transfer, particularly if you have previous study from another higher education programme, or your studies started before September 2016.

Student Finance England have more details online – it’s vital you keep them up to date with any changes as soon as possible.

UCAS also have information to help you

Other options open to you

If you are concerned that your current Programme isn’t right for you, or have personal circumstances that are making continuing difficult, there are several options you can consider. These include intercalation (taking time out from studying), transferring between programmes within BGU, or withdrawing completely from higher education.

For more information please see the ‘Transfers, Withdrawals and Suspensions’ section of our policies and procedures section. You can discuss any of these options with your personal tutor, Programme Leader, Student Advice, the Faculty Administration Office or another member of staff.

Interested in joining us?

BGU graduates standing in the sun with their graduation caps on


Browse our wide range of degree courses and find the perfect one for you.

BGU Open Day 2023 60

Open days

Open days are the best way to find out what BGU has to offer.

DSC 3983


Download your copy of our prospectus to find out more about life at BGU.