We anticipate our students arriving at University with their own IT devices, expecting to use them as part of their University life to access BGU’s digital services.
- Wi-Fi - fast FREE* on-campus Wi-Fi in all our learning and social spaces. Scan for eduroam, logon with your BGU e-mail [student email@example.com] and password!
- (For Android devices only please download the geteduroam app from the Google Play Store, enter BGU and logon as above.) Check our Android guide here: https://myday.bishopg.ac.uk/pages/userguides
- myBGU (BGU Portal) - https://myday.bishopg.ac.uk. BGU Portal. Your place for everything BGU! Android, iOS, and the Web! (Download the myBGU app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store for easy access on your devices.)
- Microsoft 365 - https://portal.office.com. Your MS Hub, e-mail, calendar, files (1Tb OneDrive), apps, and 5 copies of Microsoft Office for FREE* Download Outlook, and Office365 Apps to your device to work on the go.
- Blackboard - https://mycourses.bishopg.ac.uk. Your Online Learning Environment - submit your assessments, and interact with your course.
- Printing – on-campus multi-function printers and digital print services. Print from any device by going to https://myprint.bishopg.ac.uk, choose Web Print and upload your document. You can also Add Credit online here.
- 24/7 IT Access - fixed IT resources are available in our Library and a 24-hour computer suite.
- IT Help & Support – Dedicated IT Support & Help when you need IT. Login and submit a ticket via https://helpdesk.bishopg.ac.uk/it or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make sure you get your phone/device connected to eduroam wifi! Read your email, view your timetable, and much more whilst on the go. Read up about how to do this on your device here: https://myday.bishopg.ac.uk/pages/userguides
*subject to terms and conditions
What IT device(s) should I bring?
A Windows 10/11 Laptop is our recommended choice for your life at the University. Minimum technical specification (Operating System: Windows 10/11 Home or Pro (Not in “S” mode), CPU: Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen 5, Memory: 8Gb or 16Gb, Storage: 256Gb SSD, GPU: Not required (unless gaming), in-built camera/microphone, Screen Size: 13” to 15” personal choice.).
If you prefer you can use an Apple MacBook with Mac OS 12 Monterey (or higher), but this is only recommended if you have previous experience of using a Mac.
We do not recommend purchasing Google Chromebooks or any laptops with ARM or Celeron processors.
Smartphones (Android/iOS), Android Tablets and Apple iPads can complement your main device but are not recommended as your only device.
In addition, we have created a video that offers advice on what IT equipment to purchase which you can view below.
Software packages to help you in your studies can be download for FREE here:
Software Downloads » Bishop Grosseteste University - Myday
This includes Microsoft Office 365 plus 1tb of OneDrive Storage to keep all your work safe! Please keep in mind you’ll need your BGU log-in details to access them.
For any help or guidance on how to get set up, please contact the IT team at email@example.com.