We will appoint one Student Orator for each Congregation ceremony, and if successful you would be speaking at your graduation ceremony on behalf of your cohort of students.
You will provide a unique contribution to make the day special and memorable for graduates, and their guests. It will be an unforgettable experience for you – one that will enhance your CV.
Your speech should last for around 3 minutes and be between 200-250 words.
To assist you, we have included the following guidance:
- Your speech should be positive and uplifting.
- Reflect on your time at University as well as talking about the graduation day and hopes for the future.
- Do not be too specific to your course or subject area – you may be speaking on behalf of graduates from different academic schools as well as your own.
- Perhaps mention how University life has benefitted you as a person, and students generally.
- It is fine to acknowledge the importance of the support given by staff, family and friends but don’t include personal thanks or mention staff or friends by name.
- You are welcome to include anecdotes of your time at University as long as the story is meaningful to the whole cohort (and suitable for the audience).
- Note that you will give the speech at the end of the ceremony so you can refer to ‘graduation’ in the past tense.
All applications must be received by Tuesday 31st May 2022, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org – please attach your draft oration and include your full name, course title, day/time of graduation and mark the email Student Orator. If successful, confirmation will be sent to you via email by Friday 10th June 2022.
The Graduation Ceremony is organised by the Graduation Team.
You can contact the team via email email@example.com if you have any questions.